Sunday 3 May 2009

Thank you pockets


7/5/09 - update: These little pockets have really captured peoples interest and I have received lots of requests for more detailed instructions. I should really have posted them up at the time, but have now done so and if you scroll down to the end of this post it's all there.

Good morning everyone, weather's a bit dodgy today, not as warm and had to close my craft room doors as the winds a bit blustery. Buffy's not a happy camper as she likes the best of both worlds and had to make a choice, in or out.

Yesterday I visited a new store to me Capture the Magic. Have to confess I'd heard about it but was told, quite incorrectly as it turns out, that it was just a scrapbooking store - how wrong that info was and I'm kicking myself I never went before as it's not that far away. I went for some lilac DP but naturally it turned out to be an expensive piece as there were so many temptations including some gorgeous ribbons that as yet haven't got beyond the admiring stage. Why change the habits of a lifetime ?

Anyway, Lisa was there demoing and she inspire me to buy some chipboard shapes and come home and try out one of her creations. My daughter who is a secondary teacher asked me the other day to make something suitable to give to her students who are leaving school in a few weeks after exams, so following Lisa's idea this is what I came up with.

I think Lisa's scalloped sheets were pre cut, but I did mine on the cricut (home decor), slightly more scallops but do the same job. I cut the DP's slightly smaller. Each pocket card is a half circle, so you get two from each cut. Sides are scored and turned in to the middle and decorated with ribbons etc. The flowers and circles are the new chipboard shapes, inked highlighted around the edges, then inked again and embossed with deep impression powder.

She wanted somewhere to write a personal note to each student so I have cut a large tag on the cricut (plantin schoolbook) to tuck into the pockets. I stamped each with "just for you" using Art Impression F3143 which was one of the stamps we used for the samples in Sir Stampalots Summer Watercolour C & C show.
Instructions for making these pockets: I cut the scalloped circles on Home Decor at 11.6" and the so-ordinating inserts slightly smaller. Each cuts in half so you get two from each cut. Lay each half circle out flat, measure equi distance from each side and score down the line. This provides the two flaps which sould just slightly overlap at the front. Use a strong d/s tape right across the very the bottom and fold both flaps to the middle to seal the pocket. Decorate with card, DP, ribbon or whatever you like as shown in my picture, this covers the front join. The tags were curt on Plantin Schoolbook and I made mine about 3.5" x 4" and stamped a greeting.
Please also check out this link and help me raise funds for MS.

12 comments:

Cardmaking Galore said...

These are beautiful brenda! AM punch meaning Martha stewart?

pinky said...

Oh Brenda these are gorgeous, really beautiful. You can find the Charmed Delectable stamps on this site Dotties World.
Hugs Pinky

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda, lovely to meet you too yesterday and I think your take on these pockets are fantastic. You are right I did use precut scallops because not everyone has the cricut and I was there to demo the cricut machine so I had to make it universal, but I too would do this with home accents too at home. I think the students will love them and the tag is a nice touch too. That's it I am off to have a wander round your blog. Ooops nearly forgot thanks for the shout to my blog.
Lisa

Lisa Olson said...

Posting this again as hit the wrong button!!! Should have clicked name and URL!!
Hi Brenda, lovely to meet you too yesterday and I think your take on these pockets are fantastic. You are right I did use precut scallops because not everyone has the cricut and I was there to demo the cricut machine so I had to make it universal, but I too would do this with home accents too at home. I think the students will love them and the tag is a nice touch too. That's it I am off to have a wander round your blog. Ooops nearly forgot thanks for the shout to my blog.
Lisa

Claudia Rosa ~ Pretty Pressings said...

wow wow.. i love this!
gosh.. i want that circut so badly thanks for making my mouth watery.. lol do you say so in english too :-)
love this!
hugs
claudia

Kristen H said...

These are so lovely. What a nice gift they will make!
I wish we had a local craft store where the girls are nice. We have all the big chain stores, but those girls know nothing of crafting. I bet your lavender paper is wonderful. Can't wait to see your makes with it!

shaz earl said...

Brenda these are simply gorgeous xx

Marcea said...

gorgeous project and how sweet of your daughter to give these out! Have a great Sunday
-x-

Nilla said...

What a swell idea, love them! hugs from Nilla x

Vikki said...

Thanks Brenda :)
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to our store - at least you found out just how much we have in the end :) I look forward to seeing you again soon, and we will try and spread the word about the cards you mention in your next post.
Vikki - Capture The Magic

Anonymous said...

Oh I love these cards they are brilliant! :0)

mimiof2 said...

These are just beautiful. I first saw them on the Cricut MB and also left a comment there. Thank you so much for sharing the instructions.
Karen Varney