Wednesday 6 January 2010

A couple of challenges and Candy news

Well it's still snowing on and off and by the look of the news it's pretty bad in some parts. Here in the Fens we had a heavy fall this morning which compounded by the hard frosts we've had almost every day on top of the Christmas snow which is still laying around, it's pretty treacherous out there. Whatever your weather, keep warm and safe.

A mixed bunch here and might be a long post so grab a coffee first. Two cards, candy news, some challenges, another tutorial and the first of some very overdue samples for Sir Stampalot using one of the new releases from Hero Arts. And for those of you on the look out for a bargain, their mega sale starts on Saturday 9th January, but if you cant wait there are already some sale goodies to be grabbed right here.

Just had a quick nose myself and there are some real bargains to be had - Alphametal Stamp Kit - £29.95 down to £9.95, Tim Holt stamp sets half price, Rubber Soul stamp sets £12.50 down to £5, Ladybug and friends £10.99 down to £6. Me thinks I need to do some serious shopping......................

Now the candy news. I have said many times that I have been overwhelmed by the friendship I have received here in blogland and the wonderful friends I have met. I realised this week that my followers are close to reaching 200.......this just astounds me it really does, so as a thank you I am offering some candy. It is a bit of a mixed bag, stamps, ribbons, cardstock, flowers, DP's and lots more, I am just waiting for a decent bit of daylight to take some photos, then I will get it posted up over the next few days.

A few people have asked me how I do the messy aceate, glue and foil technique like the one above, so working on a tutorial for that, but again need better weather before I can bag some decent photographs.

On to some challenges. My first card is for this weeks Creative Card Crew which had a theme just made for me "Distressing" and Everybody Art Challenges wants us to use our favourite colour combo. Well I love all colours so it's a hard call to decide on my favourite, but as I repeatedly drift back to autumnal colours and getting all stressed out.......some days that's not just my cards either I can tell you.........so I guess these colours must be some of my favourites.

For this card I started with Glimmer Mists pineapple, copper, gold terracotta, vanilla breeze and iridescent gold to create a background piece. I then stamped onto this with Hero Arts G3316 Harlequin, F5042 Leaf Flourish and H2365 Old French Writing using a mixture of versafine sepia, versamark and detail gold embossing powder. To add a bit more interest I sponged some brilliance gold through a piece of mesh and distressed the edges with Tim Holtz brushed corduroy. Next I stamped good old favourite Stampendous P107 Agapanthus Cluster onto a piece of acetate using versafine black and heat embossed with detail clear and the same Hero swirl down the side and embossed with gold.

After joining the acetate the the base piece with some brads, wrapped some gold cord round and mounted it onto a piece of Crate Paper DP, again distressed around the edges. Finally I added a flower, some gold gems and a journaling tag.

Tuesday Taggers (and a Stampalot sample) has the lovely theme of Black and White, always a pleasure to work with and I love the crispness of the combination. I stamped some swirls onto the card itself with Inkadinkado 97632 then stamped one of my new Hero stamps CG165 Silhouette Bells onto white linen cardstock using versafine black and embossed with detail clear. I cut nested mounts on Cricut Storybook and cut a central oval with nesties through the Big Shot Express. More roses I'm afraid, this time with black vellum, white pearls for stamens and some punched leaves.

My rose tutorial can be found here for anyone who fancies a go at making them, believe me they are very simple and much cheaper than the commercially produced ones.........plus you can make them from your DP's so you get an exact colour match.

38 comments:

PatR said...

Fantastic card Brenda, so classy and of course the roses are fantastic. Cut some flowers out of grunge paper earlier and hoping to turn them into roses later, hoping being the operative work LOL! Thanks for joining TT this week.
Pat xx

Anonymous said...

Love your cards Dear, I especially love the "sepiatone" golds you do, so unique!!!

Cherry said...

What a beautiful card Brenda - the roses are stunning and I love the colour choice. Happy New Year Hugs Cherry XXX

PatR said...

Me again Brenda forgot to say congraulations for being a winner on the Stampman Blog Hop. Have fun with your prize.
Pat xx

Ludkasz said...

beautiful, fantastic card:)

Sir Stampalot said...

Happy New Year Brenda - i can so see why you love that agapanthus cluster so much - you make it look gorgeous - love all the cards. Well done and thanks for sharing. janicex

Christine said...

Wowzer Brenda I love to visit your blog & ogle at your amazing creations..cant see why your surprised at your followers we know a good thing when we see it..& this IS good you always put a lot of detail into your work love both of these gorgeous cards.

Hugs Christine xx

SannaS said...

WOW!!! Brilliant creations! Absolutely wonderful! =)
Hugs, SannaS

Beryl said...

Love all the stamping on the top one. It sounds very involved but the end result is fabulous.The other card and the tag are great too. And I bet those roses look fantastic in real life.
Beryl xx

Juls said...

wow Brenda all of these are just STUNNING!!! You are just so talented! Hugs Juls

pinky said...

Two more pieces of art Brenda, the first one has me intrigued so shall look out for your tutorial. Still haven't tried the rose one as I haven't got the right flower punch but will get there some day. Lots of snow here so only going out if I really have too. Lucky me eh.
Pinky

chris said...

my you have been busy Brenda.you samples are fantastico,love them very much.
not snowing yet here but did a little on my trip to peterborough and back, see you soon love chris xx

Sally H said...

You are such an inspiration Brenda! I love all three!

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Wow Brenda - what stunning projects. Love love love the black Roses - they are just divine. Also like the gold thread around the first card - it's just the perfect finishing touch. Fabulous!
Hugs, Sylvia x

Lynne K said...

Beautiful cards, Brenda. I'm running out of superlatives to describe your artwork. Some of the new Hero stamps are really gorgeous, aren't they?

Nilla said...

Fabulous cards, my favorite is the first one, a piece of art! But all your work is gorgeous, Brenda! Hugs Nilla

Merry said...

So wonderful Brenda ... both cards.

Mandy said...

Hi Brenda,
sorry I've not been by for a while...still making gorgeous cards I see..you are such an inspiration..love both of these can't wait for your tutorial...off to check out sir stampalot now..
Mandy xx

Annie said...

oh gorgeous cards and a trip to the shop - reading this posting cost me a fortune!!

Ann xxx

Tracy said...

Hi Brenda,
Don't do birdhouses not my kind of thing, but I do like a challenge Lol! Gorgeous creations as always love, and almost 200 followers woohoo!!!!! I'm not surprised you know.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Kari said...

Wonderful cards,Brenda!Gorgeous details!
It`s cold here too..brr..I like it indoors :)
Have a warm and lovely day:)

Hugs,Kari:)

Nannieflash said...

Fabulous cards Brenda, they really are stunning, well done with love and hugs Shirleyxxxx

Teri said...

Fabulous project! Love it!
Thanks for sharing at Tuesday Taggers this week - hope to see you next time too.
Hugs,
Teri x

Crafting Queen said...

Stunning cards, love the first one! Anesha :-)

cheryl said...

wow hunny you certianly have a knack with these roses such stunning cards all of them wondeful designs and detail love hugs cheryl xxxx

Davi said...

The cards a beautiful!! Love the beautiful black roses!!

Neet said...

Found you via Tuesday Taggers and so glad I did (have just signed up as a follower so you are nearly at that 200 mark now).
Love your B&W card - so elegant!

debby4000 said...

Oh what amazing work, your cards are such an inspiration.
Yes the large Hearts punch is indeed a MS
luv
Debby

Michelle said...

A Stunning card Brenda and a perfect entry for Tuesday Taggers. Thanks so much for joining us this week,
x Michelle

craftimamma said...

OMG Brenda, these cards are totally stunning! Those black roses are so opulent. You have so much inspiration packed into one post. Looking forward to the planned tutorial. I'm sure it's going to be another good one.

Lesley Xx

Unknown said...

Brenda fantastic cards, Love them both, many thanks for playing along at Tuesday Taggers this week. Hugs Avril xxx

Unknown said...

Loving them all - so hard to choose a favourite but as Im here to look at the TT entry I will comment on that - Simply gorgeous! Janet x

Cath Wilson said...

I'm not a lover of flowers (unless they're stamped or real, lol) but I absolutely love those first two cards - fab! I have the images, too so I'm inspired :)

Denise Clark said...

Lovely cards! Love the ticket embellishment on that first one! Gorgeous natural colors! The foil card is just stunning! On the last one I love the flowers in white silhouette! Wonderful!

Beccy said...

What a fabulous card with a brilliant rose tutorial;

Beccy x

Christine (All She Crafts) said...

Ohh, Brenda! I love all of these cards! So gorgeous!! You've excelled yourself, and those roses..!! Be still my beating heart!!

Hugs,
Chris xx

Linapyssel said...

Gorgeous cards brenda you are such an inspiration!!! I love visit your blog
Hugs Lina

Sam said...

Wonderful cards, especially the first one, superb distressing.
Thanks for playing along at CCC.
Sam x