Wednesday 25 January 2012

A pretty little box and tutorial



Good Morning one and all, I thought I would share a little box I made following the inspirational idea of Maria Simms demonstration on C&C a few days ago when as well as lots of lovely card, she made a very pretty box which I just has to try.

Maria was using Spellbinders and took one of them as her template to create a five sided box, but as I don't have any that shape I used my scoreboard...................just a cheap and cheerful one, not one of these fancy ones that have instructions for all sorts................to create a eight sided box as I thought this shape would be easier to work with. As well as Spellbinders to decorate I cut some little panels with Ruth's new Lily of the Valley Image at A Passion for Stamps.

And I thought I would get a step ahead of you before I get the inevitable questions about sizes etc., and do a little tutorial on how I made my version of Maria's box.


Here's what I used:

1 sheet A3 cardstock  (but you could use all A4 and join the lengths for the sides)
1 sheets A4 cardstock
Black cardstock to decorate
Dries clear glue


I cut two lengths  from the A3 sheet to 9cm x 34cm. I scored one at 4cm intervals to create 8 panels plus a 2" one at the end to fix into a octagon shape. I did exactly the same for the bottom of the box, but scored the sections a fraction smaller to allow the lid to fit over.


I used the assembled shapes as a template to cut two pieces slightly smaller than the assembled boxes to use as inner bases to give the box more rigidity and two further pieces 1cm larger to act as the top and base of my box.


I snipped a 1cm cut into each scored edge on one end of both pieces, then folded the little flaps inwards and glued the smaller pieces inside both pieces onto the flaps.


Next the top and bottom larger pieces can be glued into place.


You are now ready to decorate you box as you like.


I used Spellbinder Parisien and Fleur de Lis accents and the flowers mentioned above. And you can of course adjust the box to other sizes, I have done a second one cutting the two main section to 11cm high.

You now have an assembled box to 


I hope all of this makes sense and do let me know how you get on as I would love to see your boxes. Also thanks to Maria for the inspiration.

36 comments:

Маришка said...

Очень красиво!Спасибо!

Ruth said...

Fantastic!! I love your gorgeous box - thanks for the "how to"...I'll be trying it! Thanks, Ruth x

Kizzy said...

That looks fantastic, thank you for showing how to create it.
Hugs Kizzy

Paula (PEP) said...

You've just reminded me to hunt out a beaded pin for my dries clear fine tip! Love the sheer elegance of this & thanks for the tutorial. I love the way you adapt to what you have. The sheer elegance of the green gems picking up the colour of the flower leaves is beautiful with the black & white.
Paula (PEP)

mckinkle said...

Morning!

First - wha'st a mint lick? They sound fab and I can just imagine your horses with fab fresh minty breathe every day!! Who needs Colgate?!
Do they get the goody balls every day - oh I wish I was a horse and more importantly one of yours!!

What a beautiful gift this box would make! I love the colours and the dies and images youve used, my Mum would have loved it Im sure!

The bit I got most excited about was noticing that weve got exactly the same score board (I got mine from someone on ebay yonks ago!). I know Im silly but when I find that I share the same something or other as someone that I admire - I do get a little thrill!

Keryn x

Dafi✿ said...

I love the shape of the box, thanks for the tutorial :) X

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

Brenda, more than beautiful. Fantastic what fabulous. And thank you for the tutorial. Wonderful.
Lovely greet
Marja

Kari said...

This is a fabulous box,Brenda!!Love the swirls on it!
Great tutorial!
Have a lovely day!

Hugs,Kari :)

Anonymous said...

This is great Brenda! Thank you for the tutorial too, now I can have a go at it too! Love Pearl x

Hanneke said...

What a lovely box Brenda! So pretty for a present or just storing things in a pretty way. Hugs, Hanneke

Eret said...

ooh, that is so beautiful box. Love it. I'd like to make one for myself too but day is too short to create all these lovely projects :) Thank you for letting enjoy yours :)
Hugs and smiles
Eret

Maestra Isabella said...

bella, e grazie per il tutorial!
baci isa

Nannieflash said...

Hi Brenda brilliant tutorial and a really beautiful box, love that image on it. hugs Shirleyxx

Crafting Queen said...

super box, love the sweet image. Have a good day.

angelique (anlou) said...

hiya sweetie
this looks so gorgeous hunni
thank you for the tutorial, i don't know if i have the time right now, but i now how to find you sweetie
hugs angelique

kukusya said...

verry nice! thank you!

Lau W said...

Oh wow this is a superb box ! Very nice work !
xxx

chillin with Quillin said...

lovely box, really like how you decorated it !!!
Paula

Vicky said...

OMW...This is so pretty Brenda....and I so love all the elements too hun :o)

big hugs Vicky xx

Sarah said...

Stunning box, love the shape and how you've decorated it x

Unknown said...

Gorgeous box and a fab tutorial - yes it all makes perfect sense!

Kat said...

This is really pretty Brenda and such a nice shape. Thanks for the clear tutorial. I feel tired now just reading how to make the box lol!

Take care,

Kat xx

mae said...

Beautiful....thank you for the tutorial...

catherine said...

Thanks for something different to try my hands at. it looks a fab box and so many different possibilities for it. I am definately going to have a go and I'm thinking for easter
x catherine

Anonymous said...

awesome box idea, I love that!

Sorry for being a bad blogger and commenter, promise to be better from now on! :-)

Wendy said...

Fabulous box Brenda, so beautiful.
Wendy xx

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

This box is so pretty and the tutorial is fantastic, thanks for sharing it with us, I love the die cuts and the flowers are gorgeous
Lindsay xx

Crafty Loops said...

This is a fantastic tutorial with stunning results Brenda, thank you so much for sharing it. Lee x

Anonymous said...

I really inspire by this jewelery box.It look so fabulous.I really want to try to make it.It really great.Thanx to share with us.

charities child

Lisa Jane said...

oh wow thank you-must give this a try
Lisa x

ribenaruby said...

Beautiful box Brenda, thanks for sharing this delightful creation. Ruby x

Brandi said...

That is really fun!

run-style-run.blogspot.com

Ivonne said...

Wow! Beautiful box! Thanks for the tutorial. Ivonne

riliska said...

So adorable. Love everything about this one.

Jani said...

Great boxes!
Thanks for the great tutorial!
Jani x

Елена Казарцева said...

Интересный МК, хорошая коробочка получилась - графичная!