Monday 4 October 2010

Beauty of Nature

The beautiful findings of a deranged shopper

Hello Peeps, hope you all had a good weekend. The weather was decidedly iffy here and the central heating swung into action, I just can't abide being cold.

And the trees are feeling the cold as well and the leaves and beginning to fall rapidly, but oh how beautiful the all are. When we were shopping Saturday......I'll share with you shortly what was sourced at John Lewis...........I just couldn't resist picking up these leaves. We had to smile though, as a lady sitting in a coffee shop with her husband watched me intently as I rummaged the leaves for a couple to bring home, touched her husband on the arm with a sad half smile and they both gave my hubby such a caring sympathetic look. Clearly they though I had totally lost it..........but I can't resist revelling in the beauty of Nature.......I thought that was just normal ?
Now on to John Lewis.........my anniversary present from hubby. He made no mention what he was thinking until we hit the shops, said he wanted to go into the computer section of John Lewis, then announced he though a Mac would be just the thing for me with all my art and craft work. So this little package, well not so little, the screen is 27" is being delivered on Thursday.

I confess to lots of reservations, I've used HP's both at home and in the office for years, so me thinks a sharp learning curve is in the offing. But a couple of the children have Mac's so I am hopefully they won't just give me a 'dahhhh' glare when I am at my whits end with all the change. At least I have the luxury of enough space in my craft room to have old and new running until I conquer the Mac......that'll be mid 2011 then !


Enough gabble and a share of a couple of cards. The first one is obviously inspired by the lovely leaves above, very similar to one I made a few weeks ago, but I rather like the design. The leaves are Hero Arts CL457 real leaves, inked with various colours of Brilliance inks, stamped onto linen cardstock and diamond glazed after cutting out. I used the same leaves to stamp a background, but stamped them off first to diffuse the colours a bit. I tied ribbon across the middle panel and added a button to one leaf. This card is for the following challenges:

Mojo Monday - Sketch
Paper Playtime - Ribbons, buttons or rhinestones
Sweet Stamping - Punch it Out


The second card is a clean and simple design using Stamps Happen 80427 which I stamped onto a background created with Tim Holtz frayed burlap, linen and sage and a touch of gold brilliance. I coloured the image with Aquamarkers and added diamond glaze to the glass. The borders are created with Martha Stewart cornice punch. Cord and a button to embellish. This card is for the following challenges:

Cupcake - Happy Hour
Paper Sundaes - Something from Stash (cord and buttons)

39 comments:

Juls said...

fabulous cards! Hugs Juls

Sharon said...

So enjoyed reading about your weekend. Such a sweet DH to get you a Mac. I think at some point all of us crafters have had people think we are off our rockers! Leaves are an awesome inspiration!! And your leaf card is a wonderful example of that. I think it is most beautiful!!! Love how you stamped the bg with them. Your wine card is just great too. Love the coloring. That's something I'm still working on. Thank you for playing in paper with us at Paper Playtime!! :)

Selene Kempton said...

That's stunning!!!

Mervi said...

Hi Brenda!
I forgot to say Happy Anniversary last time, but the gift is awesome, you're one lucky girl.
The cards are as always fabulous.
Last week me and my hubby were walking around and
when saw a heap of leaves I always have to walk through them...
;-))m

Ellibelle said...

Wow, Brenda!! These are both gorgeous. Love the leaves card the most!!
Congrats on your new Mac. I am sure you will figure it out quickly. Your hubby is so thoughtful. Congrats on your anniversary.
I always have to pick up leaves too when I see a beautiful bunch!

Marianne said...

Hallo Brenda,
What a beautiful cards! I really like them. I too can't resist all those fallen leaves with those autumncolors. So perhaps we are the sain ones???LOL

Fliss said...

Totally gorgeous leaves at the top Brenda and you're not the only deranged shopper as I've been known to do things like that too (don't think you're mad at all!)
Really beautiful cards too and lucky you to be getting a Mac. I've always had them as I get hubby's cast offs and wouldn't be without. They are honestly so much easier to use once you get used to them which I know won't take as long as you think.
xx

Shelly said...

Hi! What a great 'vintage' card... just love the wine image! Thanks for joining us at Cupcake! Shelly ;)

The Crafty Den said...

Hi Brenda, what a brilliant card and just perfect for my 'happy hour' theme. Thanks for joining us at cupcake craft challenge this week. 'Cheers', Denise x

Helen said...

Congratulations on your Mac. Love the cards, and the leaves that you rummaged for are lovely too.

Janis Lewis said...

I love the way you did the button and jute with the wine bottle! Thanks for playing in paper with us at Paper Playtime. :) Janis

Nicola said...

Brenda loving the cards they are fab. Hugs Nicola xx

Lynda said...

They're both fabulous cards and you're not the only one picking up leaves lol - my friend brought me one the other day as I'd just bought the new Tim Holtz leaf die and stamps and she wanted me to have some inspiration. Wasn't that nice of her!

Love Lynda xxx

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Such lovely cards. Thanks for playing Mojo Monday!

lisa said...

You carry on collecting leaves, Brenda. They are beginning to look lovely aren't they, especially in today's gorgeous weather. The rain is just a memory now!!
I thought you'd made your card with the leaves you'd picked up to start with, those stamps are so lifelike.
Good luck with the Mac!!
Hugs Lisax

cheryl said...

wow hun enjoy your mac looks amazing,and as for your cards hun love and adore them both but those leaves hun are just brilliant they look so real love hugs cheryl xxxxxxxx

Zoechaos said...

Wonderful leaves great find, such pretty treasures love your cards the glass of wine of course but the bottle is still full! is it for the end of the month? LOL xx Zoe

Linapyssel said...

Happy aniverery Brenda to you and your hunny...he is a lucky guy!!!

Your cards are stunning as ever...love them both but the one with the leavs is just magnifisant!!
have a great evening

Hugs Lina

Lisa Jane said...

Hey Brenda - i brought home a leaf last week and got all excited showing my daughter and partner - being wowed by the colours!
I just love love love the first card
Lisa ;)

Tracy said...

Well brenda I think the leaves real and your stamped ones are truly beautiful, I adore Autumn, the only season i don't really like is Summer.
Sounds like a very thoughtful and well trained hubby Brenda. You'll get the new comp in no time you wait and see.

Hope you have a good week.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Sally H said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who collects leaves! The coffee shop lady doesn't know what she is missing! Your cards are stunning! I love them, especially the leaf one. I keep telling myself that I have the set of four wood mounted ones, so I don't need that set! So looking forward to my next trip to Peterborough!

mckinkle said...

Sounds like you had one very entertaining weekend Brenda! I couldnt help but chuckle at your commentary about the leaves, Im with you Brenda, whats the point of living in this beautiful country if, at times, we cant stop to actually see the beauty of it!

I love both of your cards, I am very taken by autumn leaves so that one was particularly special.

What a smashing DH you have! Lucky you! Im sure it wont take you long to master the Mac.

How are the gorgeous little pups doing?

Keryn x

Jules said...

Gorgeous cards Brenda and lucky you on the computer front .. .. hope there is enough room for it on your busy desk!!

Love Jules xx

helencreaty1 said...

waw beatiful card, I love the most the first one =)
hugss
have a nice day
helen

Anonymous said...

These are both so gorgeous!!!

The leaves look so real on the card, and hey some people just don't get us artistic types! I did that out the front of the doctors office one day, was picking up pine-cones! I'm sure they must have thought I was more nuts than they KNOW I am lmao...

Love the aged looking wine card, looks like a vintage label or advert, very cool!

Claire Phillips said...

What a great husband - happy belated Anniversary! I do so know what you mean about leaves....mine goes onto flaking paintwork and drain covers (you should see the looks I get when taking photos of them)Cheers Claire x

debby4000 said...

Oh fabulous cards, my fave is the beautiful leaves.
Good luck with the mac.
luv
Debby

chris said...

Morning Brenda, wow sucha pair of beauties and what an incredible present, lucky you. I should hang on to that hubby of yours!!
fabulous leaves by the way!

Nikbee said...

Gorgeous cards Brenda. I love the leaves on the first one.
The mac looks great. I'm so jealous as we had to leave my mac in England and I miss it so much.
Daisy loves picking up leaves, too, but she wants them to do leaf rubbing with when we get home. We have pages of leaf rubbing pictures.

Nikki x

Kay Carley said...

Hi Brenda - I can just imagine you rummaging around in the leaves and why not I say!! Nature is just so beautiful isn't it and I must say that the leaves on your card are just so beautifully coloured. xx

Jacee said...

Lovely cards Brenda, I love Autumn colours and you've used them here beautifully.
http://www.simplypapercarddesign.blogspot.com/

Faye said...

Brenda, what fabby cards! Love your take on our Happy Hour theme. Thanks for playing at Cupcake. x

Lynne K said...

Wonderful cards, Brenda, the leaf one is my favourite of course. I'd have been down there with you rummaging amongst the leaves.

Congratulations on the new computer! I've never used a Mac, so I don't know what their advantages are over PCs. You'll have to let me know when you've figured it out, which I'm sure won't take you very long. xx

Alica said...

Great cards - love the leaves on the first one and the second would make a great addition to a gift of wine!
Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week!

Catherine said...

Thank you so much for joining us at Cupcake Craft with such a brilliant card Brenda ! Love the image ! Good luck ! Smiles from Catherine

buglvr2010 said...

I love both your cards....the leaf card is just beautiful. Thanks for playing along with us at Paper Playtime.

girlia said...

Your cards are really beautiful. I love the leaves very nice touch

Shana said...

Gorgeous cards! Love the multicoloured leaves! Thank you for joining us at Paper Sundaes - we hope to see you again next week!

365 Days of Cricut said...

You did a great job with the challenge at PPT, glad you could join us! Congrats you on your anniversary gift! Lucky! That's the same one my hubby keeps telling me about I hope you LOVE it!! P.S. I have an HP and I want to get rid of it LOL!
Sandra