Sunday 18 August 2019

Mid month shares and trying out Arteza brush pens


Morning Peeps, a scheduled post and done in a bit of a rush as I had totally forgotten we are away for a long weekend and the date of our mid month inspiration posts for Stamping Sensations and Penny Black and More falls on Sunday.

These three cards were a test run with my new Arteza Brush Pens, I thanked the company for their prompt dispatch and delivery (less than 24 hours which was amazing) and they said they would be very happy if I wrote a review on my blog, so here it is. As is always the case when I do this I write as I find.

The purpose of purchasing was specifically for direct to stamp inking as it's the technique I use much of the time and from which I gain crafting satisfaction. For years I have used Distress Markers, but the price of them has been steadily increasing and when I came to order 16 replacement ones for the colours I use more frequently, the cheapest I could find was £2.50 and on some sites £3.75 and no one site had all the coloured I needed. So I decided to give the Arteza pens a try and bought the full set of 96 for £56.09 (after 15% discount) so amazing value compared with many other similar products on the market.

My thoughts here are based purely on using them as a medium to ink direct to stamp, friends tell me they are excellent for colouring in but this is not something I do often or even enjoy, but I might give it a try to see how they compare. With 96 pens to choose from the colour range is excellent and the set comes with a water brush as well so in terms of value for money can't be knocked.


Now onto using them for the purpose I purchased, early thoughts are that they are not as juicy as Distress Markers and it took quite a few re-stamping's to build up the colour using my Timmy stamp platform, I can usually achieve what I'm after with three or four repeat stamping's using DM's. I started as I always do with laying down the colours on the stamp and giving a good spritz of water for the first stamping, this usually gives a nice spread of colours merging into one another, however with the Arteza pens the colour stayed pretty much where I put it despite the water and was reluctant to move.

I built up the colour with more inking and stamping in the hope the colours would dispersed but they stayed pretty much set in place, the Butterflies below are a good example of what I mean, normally I would expect with the persuasion of water that the two colours will bleed into each so there are no set lines between colours. So in this regard I am rather disappointed but wanted to share the finished projects otherwise there is little point in me writing the review!


But I've not given up on them yet and want to experiment more, I haven't tried them on any of my Brushstroke floral's yet so that will be a job for next week and I will report back when I have played a bit more and hope I can be a bit more positive. I will also give them a whirl creating backgrounds to see where that takes me.

If anyone else has had success using them as I have done and perhaps followed a different process I would love to hear so please do share.

Back to my work, apart from the two smaller Butterflies which are Chocolate Baroque, all stamps are Penny Black as is the die on the Bird card, the sky on the top card was created with DI's and bleach, some decoupage papers and DI's on the tag, everything else was coloured direct to stamp with the Arteza pens.
 Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog.

34 comments:

Crafting Queen said...

Great projects Brenda. Have fun with your new brushes.

Babs said...

Your cards are beautiful Brenda, have fun with your new brushes
Babs x

Mervi said...

Fabulous cards and beautiful colourings;-))m

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful projects B, love the butterfly colours. I have artza paints so still trying to get the hang of them.xx

Sally H said...

Beautiful cards, Brenda. I love them all. I particularly like the first one. The colours are fab!

Lynne said...

Super cards Brenda and the colourings look good to me. I hope they work ok with your florals x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Hi Brenda, hope that your vacation is going well!
All the three projects are amazing (despite your disappoint about the blending of the new water markers). Love so much the country scene and the bird in the second card seems so fluffy!! Love his quote, too!! The vintage tag is delightful. Love your French decoupage papers!
Big hugs!

cuilliesocks said...

Your two cards are beautiful Brenda, and coloured beautifully. Pity your disappointed by the pens, but I'm sure you'll find a way to use them, Kate x x

Viv said...

I have these pens B and I am slowly getting used to them. Like you I was impressed with the speed of despatch (and the price) - so much so I bought the case for them as well!
I like them for colouring and have also tried brushing the colour onto the craft mat then spritzing with water and picking up with a normal paintbrush and this works equally well!
Using to ink up stamps is still work in progress although I have achieved better results by inking with one colour, spritzing and stamping then inking with a second colour (overlapping the fist slightly)and spritz and stamp - the colours seem to blend better this way rather than inking the whole stamp in all the colours from the outset if that makes sense?
(lovely cards by the way and 3 in the bag although a bit nervously!!) x

Marlies said...

Three beautiful stylish cards Brenda. Marlies x

Leanne Harris said...

Great makes Brenda, glad you've made your choice re your pens for this technique - look great! xxxx

Ellibelle said...

Your cards are beautiful Brenda. I think the stamping looks great even though it wasn't what you wanted to achieve with these markers.

ALI said...

Lovely cards Brenda, thanks for testing the Arteza pens, It's always been the price of the DM that put me off x

Mrs A. said...

That is a lot of pen for the money so will be interested to see how you get on withthrqm as my distress marker pens really do need replacing.
Three fabulous card designs. Hugs Mrs A.

Lorraine said...

Gorgeous cards Brenda, love all the designs and the fab nature theme.
We have one last week of cricket left for the summer hols..:-(

Lorraine x

Sarah said...

Beautiful cards Brenda and a very useful review of your brushes so far. I am always interested to hear about other techniques and tools that are out of my comfort zone xx

Caro´s kreative Welt said...

Hi, Brenda, finally I can visit you again. These cards and also the many other works are as always beautiful.
Big hugs, Carola

Kathleen said...

Three fantastic cards Brenda, some lovely images and designs.
The background on the tree card is stunning and so is the tree.
Love the background die on your second card and a great bird image.
Great presentation of the butterflies and totally love the colour mix, turquoise and orange who would have thought.

Kath x

Wendy L said...

The cardx and tags look good Brenda, especially the tags. I have never heard of these pens but your work looks good with them. Thank goodness for stamping platforms though as they would not have been good with just a block.
Hope you enjoyed your weekend. Xxxx

Gerrina said...

Even with not working like you used to, you managed to make three beautiful artworks! Favorite is the scene; it is beautiful!
I don't know the brand, but I used Tombows for this technique (having only a few DI-markers) and they are great! I buy them a few at a time when I see them somewhere in sale (keeping a list of the ones I already got) and they last so long; some of them are in my stasy now for 7 years... Maybe you would like them? Hugs, Gerrina

kiwimeskreations said...

Beautiful projects Brenda - loving the bird one in particular :) Hope you get to master the new pens soon
Blessings
Maxine

Linby said...

Interesting about the pens - I've not heard of them but won't be rushing to buy them after your experience.
Love all your makes, all varied and so lovely. The tag is particularly striking.

Pat said...

Three beautiful projects Brenda, I really like the tag, love the colours of the butterflies.

Pat xx

Fikreta said...

all are so very beautiful!
hugs

Shylaashree said...

Scenic masterpieces and loving the bird card so much brenda. tag is amazing

KandA said...

Hi Brenda, I hope you enjoyed your weekend away. As always you've created three amazing pieces with your new pens. I tend to buy the Distress Markers when I need to make up an order for free postage, or if I see them on sale xx

Craftyfield said...

The scene is beautiful, Brenda! I've never tried Arteza pens for stamping, my own favourites are Zig Art & Graphic Twin tips pens. They have a springy foam type tip that is great for applying to rubber stamps without shedding fibres like other pens. Once dry they don't tend to bleed which can be a positive or a negative depending on what you're after!

Tracy said...

These are brilliant cards Brenda, hope the pens become more worthwhile, having a good old play will help.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Great projects and samples using your new pens Brenda, it's always great to see how others use products and the effects they achieve.
Lorraine

Carole Pollard said...

Your projects look beautiful with your new pens especially a first try mine would be in the bin first time around!! They are great colours look forward to seeing more designs with these. I hope you are well and thanks for all the comments you leave me Love and hugs Carole x

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful cards but really love the collaged tag -hope you enjoyed your weekend away
Carol x

Caty said...

How Gorgeous are your cards Brenda !! I´m impressed by your always wonderful artworks. Special the first one, the tree is amazing, so beautiful the effects of your brush pens, Gorgeous !!
i wish you a very nice weekend, and send big hugs,
Caty

Greta said...

Good review--thank you for the info. I do think the DM are hard to beat for direct to stamp use. However, your cards are all just beautiful, Brenda! I really love the first scene you created!

rachel said...

Great results Brenda and an interesting review - its a great technique that I have always wanted to do more of - good to know you like the distress markers for this technique - I have some of those somewhere so will have a try!!! Big hugs rachel xx