Saturday 11 September 2021

A challenge for Kath


It's a rather special challenge at Allsorts this week as we are remembering Kath and our theme had been chosen by her, it was Favourite Stamps. She was always so organised, selected themes months in advance and likewise prepared work to similar timescales. I recall one year about Easter she told me she had finished most of her DT work until December, that was our Kath.

My fondest memory of Kath will always be the mails I frequently woke to starting with "Morning Mum".....to explain, in the early days of our friendship we talked about our families, I mentioned I had 'two batches' of children, the first three then ten years later we started over (I will admit not planned that way). Kath said she liked that idea and would love to fit into one of my 'batches' so in future would call me Mum, I told her I often call my girls Sweetie so it stuck. She was a late bird, I'm an early bird so she she would mail me late at night starting with "Morning Mum" and they would be waiting in the morning, I am so missing those mails. 

So this post and challenge is just for you Sweetie. 

I hope she approves of the twist we have added to her theme to take in her favourite style of crafting which most of us know was Paper Piecing and Flowers so the theme is......

Favourite Stamps with Paper Piecing and Flowers option

As well as the planned prize is from Craft Stash there are a few more prizes, some donated by people who knew Kath through crafting and one from me, Chocolate Baroque Canary Bird Rose which Kath told me several times was her current favourite floral stamp. That one will be for entries using the paper piecing and flower option.

Kath also like vibrant colours which was reflected in her work and huge stash of DP's,  like many of us she was always vowing to buy no more, but we all know how that one goes don't we! I have two cards dedicated to her, my style is very different to hers, but both are paper pieced and have flowers along with colour, so I hope she is looking down at them with approval and probably a little quip about all the ink and grunge and my messy fingers.


Both of my cards use CB Canary Bird Rose, well they had to didn't they, both paper pieced from sprayed and inked card in my own grungy style and sentiments from my Life is so much Better.

We are hoping for a really good turn out this week and would so appreciate it if you would help us make this a special week to remember our friend Kath.
 
Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog.

35 comments:

Craftyfield said...

Gorgeous cards, Brenda. A lovely tribute to your crafting "child".
I am always daunted by paper piecing (it's the fussy cutting...) but I hope I can join in. x

SusanLotus said...


I love these cards.
The vibrant colors feel almost like neon.
Wonderfully!

Wishing you a cozy weekend!
Sussie

Gerrie's kaarten said...

Schitterende kaarten
Groetjes Gerrie

kiwimeskreations said...

Beautiful, beautiful cards Brenda - a fitting tribute to your friend, in your own unique style. I am sure Kath would have approved
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

crafty-stamper said...

Both fabulous cards and backgrounds love the beautiful rose stamp.A fitting tribute to your friend-my first two were 15 and 18 when our third son was born after a sterilization reversal and the first question everyone asked was have you remarried when no next question was it an accident lol
Carol x

Sarah said...

The colours on your first Canary Bird card are right up my street!! What a lovely tribute to your special friend using her favourite stamp, twice xx

Linby said...

Two wonderful cards and you've done Kath proud with the paper piecing. I just love how intense the colour is on the first card - pink flamingo??

Chris said...

So lovely to share your memories of Kath and the cards you have created are gorgeous, she would definitely have approved of the paper-piecing and I love that you used her favourite stamp.
xx

Mervi said...

Gorgeous tribute to Kath with your and her style together.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Un post commovente in onore di Kath, Brenda! Immagino quanto ti manchi la vostra corrispondenza e le chiacchiere che facevate parlando delle vostre vite private. Io l'ho conosciuta poco, solo alcuni mesi nel team di WLCB, ma mi piacevano la sua schiettezza e le sue cards fiorite. Sono sicura che lei guarderà da lassù il challenge in suo onore, vedrà le tue meravigliose cards piene d'amore(come si vede che le hai fatte davvero con il cuore!!) e quelle delle altre... e ne sarà contenta.
Un giorno ci ritroveremo tutti dall'altra parte del ponte...
Adoro queste due cards e i loro colori, che bellissime palettes e backgrounds! I dettagli che attirano l'attenzione sono stupendi, così come i sentiments che hai scelto.
Un forte abbraccio

Fikreta said...

Gorgeous cards.
She will be missed...
hugs

Lynne said...

Both gorgeous cards Brenda and a lovely tribute to Kath by using her favourite floral stamp x

Ellibelle said...

Both are so beautifully done and I am sure Kath is smiling down from heaven because this challenge would be just up her alley!

Marlies said...

These are both beautiful card Brenda. A lovely flower stamp and you have made beautiful backgrounds for it. Very well designed as allways. A lovely tribute to your friend Kath. Marlies

KarinsArtScrap said...

beautiful card with fantastic backgrounds Brenda
Gr Karin

Vicky Hayes said...

You've done Kath proud with these gorgeous cards Brenda. I'm sure she would be proud to have inspired so many people to try her favourite technique but she admired lots of other styles too, so I think she'd love to see your personal spin. Sending hugs to you. Vicky x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Will try and join in B, although blogging is very intermittent, crafting isnt.
Yes, she was a very special crafter, B. And reslly appreciated your post and can imagine after that close relationship she is missed.. praying for you in that and comfort for all who loved her. Two very beautiful cards! Lovely!
Thanks for sharing, and may God bless and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Gerrina said...

Both cards look so beautiful!
And what a great way to celebrate someone you loved from the crafty world... Always strange when someone is no longer there to bring that special brightnes into your world... Hope your memories will give you strenght during all you do! Hugs, Gerrina

Sarn said...

I just LOVE both your Canary Bird Rose cards for Kath's special Allsorts Challenge. Your inky backgrounds are superb and no wonder that stamp was one of Kath's favourites - it's lovely.

Thanks for sharing some of your memories of Kath too. I also miss her emails.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Sandra H said...

Two really beautiful cards and what a lovely tribute for such a lovely and generous blogger x

Wendy L said...

Beautiful cards Brenda. Many people have such lovely things to say about Kath, xx

HilaryJane said...

Both your cards are beautiful and yet so different. I always find that hard when I am using the same stamp. It is obviously no trouble for you. I have no doubt that Kath would have loved these xx

coldwaters2 said...

Two beautiful creations Brenda that image is awesome so is your paper piecing and backgrounds they are both wonderful
hugs
lorraine x

aussie aNNie said...

Super gorgeous post, love all of the delights here. xx

Conny said...

Wonderful cards! Love the flowers!

Hugs,
Conny

Pat said...

Two beautiful cards in lovely colours Brenda and a wonderful challenge.

Pat xx

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Two beautiful cards Breanda and a lovely story about your Crafty Daughter. I'm sure that she would love your cards too.

Sue xx

Stamps and Paper said...

Beautiful cards as always Brenda....what a lovely story about Kath...

Anne

Eileen said...

Love your cards and the beautiful comments about "our Kath". Funny I never thought about other people calling her that but it seems it is not just me that does.

Love
Eileen (Kath's sister)
Xx

Pauline C said...

Two really amazing cards Brenda … I absolutely love this style of crafting and your amazing backgrounds. Thanks also for your kind words on my recent challenge cards .. I have tried dipping my toe into this inky background and silhouette or paper pieces style but I’m overwhelmed by all the products that seem to have appeared over the past couple of years and am very much a learner with limited stash for that style. You were very kind about my colouring with markers … I’m sure it’s totally untrue that you can’t colour for toffee🤣🤣but I would recommend the Kit and Clowder classes to anyone .. I coloured for several years before my break from crafting but my confidence had gone after 3 years of not doing any and it’s amazing how much instruction and support them is in these classes 😀 Also they are really fun !

Pia S said...

I didn't know Kath myself, but I think it's such a lovely thing of you to do, to host a challenge in her memory and spirit. Two beautiful cards, the pink one traditionally feminine, and the second a bit more "grungy" - I also love the effect of the kraft colored leaves on the 2nd card.

Lee said...

Two Stunning cards,a fitting tribute to Kath.xx

Gerrie's kaarten said...

Schitterende kaarten de bovenste spring er uit
Mooi de schud kaart met de vissen
Groetjes Gerrie

Greta said...

So sad & unfair, but I know Kath would have touched by all the love. Your cards in her honor are beautiful, Brenda. Love hearing the story of your special friendship.

SewPaperPaint said...

Such a lovely theme and tribute and your renditions are both remarkably beautiful. I know it's hard to loose a friend, especially a very crafty one when we have so few of those. My heart goes out to you all. xx, Autumn