Thursday 18 April 2019

LOVE as depicted in letters


Good morning, a scheduled post as I'm in hospital having the first course of the injections I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'll admit I'm not looking forward to 32 injections in my face and head, but if they prove helpful to my constant migraines then I'll (probably!!) be happy to go back for the next round in three months.

So my mid month shares for Stamping Sensations and Penny Black and More where our April Spring challenges are in full swing, both run until Wednesday 1st May. Further down I also have a short review of an interesting book I was recently sent.

I'll keep the details short as it's a long post, the top one has an Oxide background, stencilling and stamped twice with a Penny Black stamp and one heat embossed with detail white EP. The sentiment and raindrops are both from Inkylicious.


This one has a Pan Pastel background, Penny Black stamp with a matching die for the blooms in the foreground and a computer generated Shakespeare Spring quote.


And a couple using one (yes there are more) of the new stamps I succumbed to a couple of weeks ago, I ordered from John at PB stamps in the States, the package left him and was in the UK within three days, it then took RM seven days to deliver and of course collected the obligatory Customs fee of £23.47.


Now for the book I mentioned.....................

Recently the publisher of a new book asked me if I would like a copy to review, the book is called 'Love Letters' by Deborah Brown, but it's not your ordinary read, in fact it is as the promotional literature states "A picture book for grown-ups".

My introduction to the book came about because of rubber stamps. The author was studying for her MA in Illustration at Cambridge and was set a module to create a short book, whilst doing her research she found an old set of letter rubber stamps she had as a child. She stamped out the word LOVE and that formed the inspiration for the book.

I will admit it wasn't what I expected at all, yet there is something within the pages which makes you keep turning them right to the end. It's a love story which as with any other is about a couple who meet and fall in love, marry, have their relationship ups and downs and seek help getting back on track, have two children who grow and leave the nest and sadly has a bittersweet ending. 

But that's where the traditional ends as the text is very minimal and the story is depicted through the four letters........LOVE which are printed randomly on the pages to carry the story. It is a brave book to undertake because it's unorthodox yet contains all the elements that we expect in a love story. 


Thank you Deborah for allowing me to peek inside the covers of your book and I wish you every success with it.

 
Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog.

31 comments:

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Hi Brenda, I wish you to feel better after these injections, having 32 in face and head sounds horrible. You are so brave!!!!
Thanks for having re-follow my blog, hope that Blogger's mails now are arriving.
Your scheduled post is full of beauties, how impressive is the top card with the flower and its shadow!!! Love the sweet tones and the sentiment is one of my favourites! Also the second card looks amazing, such beautiful dimensions and the soft pan pastel background looks so sweet!
The new stamp you bought from USA is fabulous, great how you gave it two shaded colours, love your CAS cards, so classy!!
Biggest hugs ever, hope your migraine goes better after the treatment!!!

Crafting Queen said...

Love the cards. Best of luck with with your injections. Really hope it works for you. Sending lots of healing prayers. Hugs Anesha

Fikreta said...

hope you will be better soon.
gorgeous cards!
hugs

Gerrie's kaarten said...

Wat zijn het weer plaatjes je kaarten .
Ze zijn allemaal prachtig
Groetjes Gerrie xx

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A collection of gorgeous floral cards Brenda and an interesting insight to the book. Sound like something I might read. Good luck with the injections and I do hope that work for you.

Sue xx

Marianne said...

Hope the treatment will bring the outcoume you're hoping for, Brenda. Happy to see you've managed to do some crafting as well, resulting in some beautiful makes. Love the shadow effect on the first card and the added dimension from the die cut flowers on your happy Shakespeare-inspired spring card.
Marianne x

ALI said...

Gorgeous cards, love the background on the first one. Hope the injections work x

Ellibelle said...

Your cards are so beautiful with the wonderful inky backgrounds! It's a shame you have to pay that much for costums!!
Hoping the procedure isn't too painful and wishing you much success with it so you can get some relief!

Viv said...

Luverly juberley B!
Fingers crossed all has gone well (as well as could be expected anyway) and you should have at least 4 smiles on your face this morning! xx

KarinsArtScrap said...

wow gorgeous cards and great stamping Brenda
Gr Karin

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Brenda, my goodness I'm cringing at the thought of 32 injection...and in your face. I think you are so brave to go ahead with this and I really hope it all makes a difference. I take 4 insulin injections a day and hate that. Good luck with it all.
Your selection of cards is just so beautiful, beautifully designed and colours.
Thank you for your mention of the book, it certainly sounds interesting and I hope it does well, Kate x

Sarah said...

I cannot imagine what it must be like for you to suffer migraine as you do, so I really hope that this first round of injections will bring you some relief Brenda. Your cards, as ever, are beautiful, the colours of the first reminding me very much of "Fruit Salad" chews, which I now have a fancy for!! xx

Lorraine said...

These are all gorgeous Brenda, love the pretty flowers and designs.
I hope the injections were better than you expected and I have everything crossed that they work for you.
We had some good news yesterday...Emma got through her trials and will be playing for Yorkshire again this season. So proud of her!!
Take care and sending hugs.
Lorraine x

Kathleen said...

A fabulous collection of cards, stunning colours and designs.
I pre-ordered the last stamp from CUL and I think that I will struggle to use it, glad I didn't have to pay customs fee but it was probably shared out in the price of the stamps.
Hope all is going well.

Kath x

Leanne Harris said...

A super collection of "blooms" here Brenda using some fabulous stamps. Oops, I know that customs charge, it's rediculous isn't it and the handling charge is about £8 too!!!!! xxxx

Craftyfield said...

Fabulous floral cards! Not surprised you succumbed to the PB stamps, I have my eye firmly on them but I need to wait until I have cracked opened my previous purchases (ahem...). Will be thinking of you in hospital, my other half is having a longer stay than expected himself! xx

Gerrina said...

What a treat to see 4 cards from you in this post! Love all the colours and flowers, but the grungy style of the first and the dimension through the diecuts of the 2nd make those two my favorites!
I'm crossing my fingers that the injectiond will help you! And hope it was doable to get them... Meanwhile big hugs!

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Oh dear B. Thirty two needles, I’ve had inject myself once a day for a number of years, and had all mannner of injections but never thirty two in one hit or even anything remotely like it.. praying for your recovery and most of all that it will really truly work for you!!
I’ve been poorly and found out on Wed I’ve an SCC on my right shin with cancer cells in it needing removal ASAP (1st May), my shin has very very little skin to work with as my legs are skinny.
Ah well am glad the LORD knows what He’s doing. 😊
Oh love your cards, amazing, love the stamps, esp the second one, love the last card best which is strange as not my usual colours.
Your tax charges puzzle me, we have 10% GST on all purchases, but if gift no charge. I wonder if they change if Brexit goes through.

Lord bless you dear B.in all things and have a God blessed Easter.
Hugs Shaz in Oz.x

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Mrs A. said...

Your cards are gorgeous as ever. I really do hope that your hospital stay gives you results. Your very brave to undertake all those injections. I wish you a speedy recovery. Hugs Mrs A.

Wendy L said...

I hope you are recovering well after the injections Brenda.
The cards on this post are all lovely, I do so wish I could stamp and colour like you.
I shall perhaps have another play today after I have braved the continued torrential rain, to walk the dog and do some food shopping.
Happy Easter. Xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Brenda, I do pray that those injections give you the relief you desire!
Your cards are beautiful, especially the two bottom ones - I love how you have stamped the flower heads.
That book sounds intriguing!
Blessings
Maxine

Linby said...

I hope you are recovering and that the injections are helping. Your love of flowers shines through on all these fabulous designs.
the book sounds like an interesting read too.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous selection of cards Brenda and loving all the stamps---do hope all those injections are worth it and make some difference
Carol x

Greta said...

Hoping the injections provide relief for you, Brenda. Beautiful cards, as always! I especially love the first one!

Inkyfingers said...

What a gorgeous collection of cards Brenda and I would not be able to pick a favourite because they are all so pretty. The backgrounds on the first two are especially gorgeous IMHO!
I hope your stay in the hospital went well and the pain of the injections is worth it!
Hugs
Carol x

KandA said...

Hi Brenda, I do hope your feeling better after all those injections and also that they've worked well for you. As always these are all amazing cards with wonderful stamping and colours. My favourite is the second with the stamp and matching die.... the layout is fabulous and it reminds me so much of sitting in the garden on a lovely sunny day. Take care xx

Pat said...

Such a gorgeous set of floral cards Brenda, with some fabulous sentiments, the book sounds interesting and unusual. I do hope all has gone well at the hospital and that the treatment works well for you. Take care.

Pat xx

Caty said...

Woowwww your cards are Wonderful Brenda !! Love all of them, they are happy, full of spring and vitality, Really Fantastique !!
I wish you are much better now, there a lot of injections, but I hope they will help you ♥
This book may be interesting, I also love to read.
I wish you a very nice afternoon,
Big hugs, Caty

pinky said...

What a beautiful selection of floral cards Brenda. I love the sunny colours you have used. The book sounds interesting!!

Cath Wilson said...

I spotted these earlier and meant to scroll down but was distracted :-(
Some absolutely gorgeous PB samples here. You do PB so well. Can't believe you had to pay all that extra for customs and they will be the reason for the delay in arrival - so annoying. You've 'done them proud' though - gorgeous images and beautifully designed cards. Some of my favourites there, too. You're definitely creating beautifully again, Brenda.
Also forgot to mention the wire coils in today's top post - and the PP background - genius idea! Love that. It adds such a whimsical touch to the flowers.
Cath x

Caro´s kreative Welt said...

Wow wow wow, they're all very beautiful!
Hugs Carola